of Legacy Bank
In 1904, many banks were springing up in Iowa. Very few of those
locally owned institutions exist today, but travel through Altoona,
Bondurant, and Mitchellville you will see a familiar red brick
building topped with a cupola. This is the building design that
has helped to identify Legacy Bank since 1904.
The original bank, formally known as Farmers Savings Bank, opened
in the dot on a map town of Ira, Iowa with an initial capital
stock of $10,000.00. B.F. Baker was the first President until
his death in 1927. F.W. Trammel took over in 1928 until sometime
in the 1930’s when Russell and Iona Blake gained ownership
interest in the bank. In 1936 the bank moved to Mitchellville.
Mr. Blake ran the bank until 1963 when he was stricken with cancer.
In 1968 A. Emsley Chittenden bought the bank from the Blake’s
and ran the operated branches in Mitchellville and Bondurant.
The bank continued to grow as the communities continued to prosper.
In 1985 Emsley sold majority interest in the bank over to his
son Robert Chittenden and soon passed away. Robert Chittenden
still serves as President and Chairman of Legacy Bank to this
In 1995 the bank built the Altoona branch and moved the charter
in an effort to better serve existing customers and bring locally
owned community-banking back to the city of Altoona. The move
has been a great success and we have helped many businesses and
individuals realize they’re financial needs. Since our inception
many changes have occurred in the banking industry. With the changes
in the bank and its customer base we found that the name Farmers
Savings Bank did not accurately represent our customers and we
looked for a name that would better identify not only the bank
but also the values that we have tried maintain since 1904. In
October of 2001, we changed our name to Legacy Bank. The most
recent change to the bank has been the completion of our new Bondurant
facility that occurred in 2005. We hope to better serve the area
growth and potential that exists within this community.
In 2007, Legacy constructed the Clive branch located in
the Commerce Park Development. This location features a
synergy of bank partners such as investment services, legal
and accounting practices. Our goal is to provide customers
with the finest available resources and services to fulfill
the high demand of their financial needs. The communication
between these entities creates a powerful tool for our customers
to have a synergistic view of their entire financial portfolio.
We feel our name accurately represents whom we are and where
we are going. In this time of uncertainty and change we believe
long term relationships with customers and having a staff that
is trained to help meet the customers needs is vital to maintaining
a level of service that is unsurpassed. Financial Institutions
are truly all marketing the same products, but a bank professional
that can help negotiate the options and help the long term goals
of our customers is what we value from our people. Our funds stay
local and so does our commitment. That is why Local ownership
is so important not only to the areas we serve but to our customers